Monday, January 2, 2012

be still

my heart: it appears that I've won a whole unskirted icelandic sheep fleece in a raffle on ravelry.

Dear Husband just said: oh, that will make a nice cat bed! Before saying: it will be a good learning experience for all of us.

Any and all advice, links, You Tube videos you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

I have never done any skirting/cleaning/carding before.

The fleece will be mostly white with some moorit parts. I could have had a black one (yes! There were choices!), but I figured I'll be able to see the less desirable "additives" like vegetable matter etc. much better on a white fleece.

My biggest question right now: don't Icelandics have guard hairs? How do I deal with them?

6 comments:

  1. Icelandic fleece is wonderful. Use it whole and plan on making an outerwear sweater with it, or a jacket. You may want to comb it instead of card it. I have combs and also a hackle you could use for blending. You'll have fun! Here's a good link: http://www.icelandicsheep.com/Icelandic%20Fleece.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I know nothing about Icelandic fleece, so your adventure will be a chance to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to pictures!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Can't advise, but must congratulate!

    Lots of fun ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! I did my first fleece last summer, and it was a lot of fun. I waited til the weather was nice so that I could lay it out and skirt it outside, and then we washed it, a little at a time, in the kitchen sink. Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Icelandic felts if you look at it funny, so you want to be very careful washing it or a cat bed is all it will be good for. And yes, it has guard hairs. I've spun prepared Icelandic, but I've never been brave enough to tackle a raw fleece.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! It means the world to me.